Monday, April 23, 2012

Cold weather jolted the corners of my mind

As I sat freezing on the bus stop this fine spring morning . I was looking up the hill at the elementary school on the next block. In my mind I flashed back to my days there in kindergarten. I had no wavy lines or tinkling chimes to signal the trip .. Just the frigid nip of an abnormal spring nor'easter.

It snowed at the end of April the year my brother was born. I was in kindergarten and it was the day my mom and brother came home from the hospital. I suppose it was almost as  good as bringing a puppy to show and tell ; my mom and dad brought my new baby brother to school to pick me up after class. It had been a cold spring and the trees bloomed late. As we got into my dad's dodge van it began to snow giant , wet, fat flakes. I remember my dad pushing me  into the van as I looked up into the sky letting the flakes leave wet stinging across my face. As I sat on the floor of the van ( no seat belts or even a seat ... just sitting on the floor) . I looked out the windshield at the park at the bottom of the hill . Thinking to myself how pretty the frilly blossomed trees looked against the gray sky and the giant snowflakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment